West Leonard Church was established in 1889 by recent immigrants from the Netherlands and has a rich and long history. These Christians were heirs of the Reformation in Europe. At the heart of the Reformed Christian heritage is testing
all we do and believe by the Bible.
In 1908 the original wooden church building burned to the ground. The following summer the current sanctuary was completed, featuring boulders from the Grand River and put in place by horse teams. In the past 20 years or so the facility has been extended to include additional classrooms, offices, meeting rooms, and an elevator.
Today the church continues a long history of proclaiming and living out the good news of Jesus Christ in a very urban section of the City of Grand Rapids. In May of 2014, the church will celebrate its 125th anniversary!